close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
August 21, 2019

Lehmann expresses delight at Yorkshire return

Sports

AFP
August 21, 2019

LONDON: Darren Lehmann, who stood down as Australia coach in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal, is to take charge of the Leeds-based team in next year’s inaugural The Hundred tournament.

The 49-year-old — who was cleared of involvement in the scandal which resulted in Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft being banned — told Press Association Sport he was delighted to be returning to Yorkshire.

The former Australian batsman who represented his country in 27 Tests and 117 One-day Internationals was part of the Yorkshire side that won the county championship in 2001, their first since 1968.

“It’s great to be back. I hoped I’d get the chance when I heard about it and I’m so excited the opportunity came along,” Lehmann told PA, 18 months on from the so-called ‘sandpaper-gate’ scandal in South Africa in March last year.

“It was a great experience of my career to play here, where the passion for the game is second to none. “The connection is strong, I have so many family and friends around and I was lucky enough to be involved in ending Yorkshire’s long wait for a county championship win in 2001.”

Lehmann, who underwent counselling following his resignation, told the BBC he had no interest in returning to international cricket. “No, I’ve gone past that,” said Lehmann, who coached Australia from 2013-18.

“It’s more about tournaments and having a bit of fun. “I’ll certainly stay away from international coaching, I don’t want to travel that much any more.” Lehmann, who won two World Cups as a player and added a third when he coached Australia to the 2015 trophy, is pleased that Smith, Warner and Bancroft have all been recalled following their bans and are playing in the Ashes series which the tourists lead 1-0 after two Tests.

“I’m just looking forward to watching them play,” said Lehmann ahead of the third Test which gets underway in Leeds at Headingley on Thursday. “The game has moved on and people have got to move on as well, I’m glad those guys are playing their part in a great contest between Australia and England. “It’s been an enthralling series.”

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus