Sun June 24, 2018
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Peshawar

December 6, 2017

Share

Advertisement

Several checkposts in Cantt area removed: CEO

PESHAWAR: The chief executive officer (CEO) of Cantonment Board on Tuesday informed the Peshawar High Court (PHC) that complying with the court order several checkposts had been removed and the remaining ones would be dismantled after improvement in security situation.
During hearing of the writ petition filed against barricades and erection of walls on the links roads at Cantonment Board Peshawar, Cantonment Board CEO Adil Rafi Siddiqui informed a division bench comprising Justice Qaiser Rashid Khan and Justice Musarrat Hilali that several checkposts have been removed after order of the court. However, he submitted that some remaining checkposts would be dismantled after improvement in the security situation.
In reply, Justice Qaiser Rashid observed that presently there are four checkposts on the Mall Road from Edwardes College to Combine Military Hospital, Peshawar.
“It is strange that citizens were allowed on the one checkpost and stopped on the second after a small distance, which is wrong. We have also reports that behaviour of the army personnel deployed at these checkposts is not good with the citizens. They should meet the citizens in respectable manners and correct their behaviour and in this way they would build their trust in the people,” the judge told the Cantonment Board, Peshawar, CEO.
The court asked the CEO, who has been made focal person by the court in the case, to submit report about removal of barricades and checkposts in Cantonment Board area of Peshawar on the next hearing into the case.
Peshawar District Nazim Muhammad Asim, Town-1 Council Nazim Zahid Nadeem and Superintendent of Police (Traffic) Muhammad Riaz also appeared in the case.
The district nazim informed the court that most of the checkposts in the city had been removed. However, he said, checking continued on the entrance routes to the city to save the city from terrorists.
The SP (Traffic) also said that there was no permanent checkposts in the

x
Advertisement

interior city as only temporary ones were being established on the roads.
He said checkposts had been established only at the city boundaries to stop infiltration of terrorists from Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
During the hearing, Justice Musarrat Hilali observed that the government land was occupied by the land mafia in the city. The court directed district nazim and additional advocate general, Sikandar Shah, to submit report about illegal construction on the land around Wazirbagh and construction of wedding halls there and submit report before next hearing.
On the previous hearing, the PHC had ordered the phase-wise removal of barricades, checkposts and walls which had blocked entry to roads in the Cantonment and other areas of the provincial capital.
Senior lawyer Muhammad Khursheed Khan had filed the petition. He had sought an order for removal of barricades, checkposts and walls which were blocking entry to roads in the Cantonment and other areas of Peshawar.
Khursheed Khan, the senior lawyer who filed the petition, argued that the Frontier Corps despite having a huge space in the Balahisar Fort had occupied the Nazar Bagh Road by erecting barricades near the fort and created traffic problems in the city.

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement
Advertisement

Topstory

Opinion

Newspost

Editorial

National

World

Sports

Business

Karachi

Lahore

Islamabad

Peshawar