Out this week
- No Shame by Lily Allen: Fourth album by the English singer; comes after 2014’s Sheezus; led by the single ‘Trigger Bang’ (featuring Giggs); also includes the songs ‘Your Choice’ (featuring Burna Boy) and ‘Waste’ (featuring Lady Chann).
- Also out this week: Kids See Ghost, a collaboration album by Kanye West and Kid Cudi; and Bigger, the sixth album by the country music duo Sugarland.
- Ocean’s 8 (starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Paulson) - heist comedy; Debbie (Bullock), the estranged sister of Danny Ocean, puts together a crew to attempt a daring robbery.
- Hereditary (starring Toni Collette, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro) - horror; after a woman passes away, her daughter’s (Collette) family starts to experience strange things.
- Hotel Artemis (starring Jodie Foster, Sterling K. Brown, Sofia Boutella, Jeff Goldblum) - action thriller; a nurse (Foster) runs a secret emergency room for criminals.
- Mark Hoppus (@markhoppus): You ever forget someone’s name and it’s been too long to ask to remind you what it is and years go by and you still don’t know and you marry them and have kids together and grow old and then they die and the gravestone guy asks how they spell their name?
- Tim Carvell (@timcarvell): I don’t want to brag, but I can usually figure out Blue’s Clues after the second clue.
- Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds): If my daughter proves she can take care of the fire ants I got her, we’ll get her the damn kitten.
Kanye Omari West
- Born on 8th June 1977 in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
- Parents divorced when he was three. His mother, Donda West, was an English professor and later his manager, and his father, Ray, was a photojournalist and counsellor.
- Started writing poetry and rapping at a young age.
- Attended Chicago’s American Academy of Art in 1997, then transferred to Chicago State University to study English before dropping out of college at age 20 to pursue music.
- Was mentored by DJ No I.D. towards the start of his career.
- Started producing records for other artists, gaining some recognition for his work on Jay-Z’s The Blueprint (2001).
- Was in a near-fatal car crash in 2002 which inspired him to work on his debut album, the massively successful The College Dropout (2004), while he was recuperating.
- Has since released seven more albums - Late Registration (2005), Graduation (2007), 808s & Heartbreak (2008), My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010), Yeezus (2013), The Life of Pablo (2016), and Ye (2018) - and earned critical acclaim.
- Is also a fashion designer.
- Has been embroiled in various controversies because of his antics and outspokenness.
- Has been married to socialite Kim Kardashian since 2014. They have three children, North (born 2013), Saint (2015), and Chicago (2018).
Also born today: Mark Feuerstein, Julianna Margulies, Kathy Baker, Nancy Sinatra
Cast: Gabrielle Union, Billy Burke, Richard Cabral, Ajiona Alexus, Levi Meaden, Seth Carr, Mark Furze
Director: James McTeigue
Tagline: Payback is a mother.
- Thriller; a mother (Union) tries to protect her children after the house of her recently deceased father is invaded by four criminals.
- Had a budget of $6 million; has made around $44 million in less than a month.
- Has received negative reviews from critics who found the film cliched but praised Union’s performance.
- Score composed by Johnny Klimek.