Out this week
- A Wrinkle in Time (starring Storm Reid, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling) - fantasy, based on the 1962 novel by Madeleine L’Engle; a young girl (Reid) sets out to find her missing father with the help of three astral beings (Winfrey, Witherspoon, Kaling).
- Gringo (starring David Oyelowo, Joel Edgerton, Amanda Seyfried, Charlize Theron) - comedy; a businessman (Oyelowo) finds himself battling for survival after he ends up getting kidnapped by the cartel.
- The Hurricane Heist (starring Toby Kebbell, Maggie Grace, Ryan Kwanten) - thriller; a team of tech hackers attempt a heist against the U.S. treasury as a Category 5 hurricane approaches, while the people remaining in the deserted beach town try to survive the hurricane and stop the criminals.
- The Strangers: Prey at Night (starring Christina Hendricks, Martin Henderson, Bailee Madison, Lewis Pullman) - horror, is a sequel to 2008’s The Strangers; a family stranded in a deserted mobile home park gets stalked by three masked individuals.
90th Academy Awards
- Best Picture: The Shape of Water
- Best Director: Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
- Best Actor: Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney - I, Tonya
- Best Original Screenplay: Get Out
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name
- Best Animated Feature Film: Coco
- Best Original Score: The Shape of Water
- Best Original Song: ‘Remember Me’ from Coco
For the complete list of winners, visit oscar.go.com/winners
38th Golden Raspberry Awards
- Worst Picture: The Emoji Movie
- Worst Director: Tony Leondis - The Emoji Movie
- Worst Actor: Tom Cruise - The Mummy
- Worst Actress: Tyler Perry - Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
- Worst Supporting Actor: Mel Gibson - Daddy’s Home 2
- Worst Supporting Actress: Kim Basinger - Fifty Shades Darker
- Worst Screen Combo: Any two obnoxious emojis - The Emoji Movie
- Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel: Fifty Shades Darker
- Worst Screenplay: The Emoji Movie
- The Razzie Nominee So Rotten You Loved It: Baywatch
- Barry L. Bumstead Award: CHiPs
- The Razzie Redeemer Award: “A Safe Hollywood-Haven where talent is protected, nourished and allowed to flourish with proper compensation.”
Cast: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, Andy Serkis
Director: Ryan Coogler
Tagline: Hero. Legend. King
- Action; King T’Challa (Boseman) returns home to find his sovereignty challenged when a long-time adversary conspires to bring down his kingdom in a conflict that has global consequences.
- Is the eighteenth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Had a budget of $200 million; has made over $898 million in less than three weeks. Money was raised on crowdfunding platforms in the Black Panther Challenge to help take underprivileged children to see the film.
- Has received critical acclaim, earning praise for its visuals, direction, story, and performances.
- A Black Panther film was in consideration since 1992 when Wesley Snipes announced his intention to make the movie but the project did not materialize.
- Score composed by Ludwig Goransson. Kendrick Lamar, along with Anthony Tiffith, produced the film’s curated soundtrack, Black Panther: The Album.
- Is likely to be followed by a sequel.